M.Ed. Online Innovation and Design, University of Alaska Fairbanks 2016
MBA, University of Alaska Fairbanks 1992
B.S. Computer Science, University of Alaska Fairbanks 1990
- 3/2020 – Quality Matters certified facilitator for Improving Your Online Course
- 1/2020 – Basics of Inclusive Design for Online Education – from University of Colorado Boulder/Coursera
- 1/2020 – Peer Reviewer – certified to serve as a Peer Reviewer on Quality Matters course reviews
- 12/2018 – Quality Matters Coordinator (QMC) Training to serve in the organizer role for UAF
- 06/2017 – VoiceThread Certified Educator
- 02/2016 – Independent Applying the QM Rubric (APPQMR)
- 02/2012 – Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM) Toastmasters International
04/2011 – Current
- Provide research-based and best practices recommendations to help faculty create high-quality, interactive educational experiences for students.
- Lead six iTeach Online six-week workshops; 7/2018- 6/2019 accepted 30 faculty to iTeach 16 participated and 11 completed a full course unit for online delivery.
- Support online course development. Make and deliver targeted course development modules and broader faculty enrichment opportunities.
- Lead Quality Matters (QM) efforts at UAF. Eight courses completed Quality Matters certification (FY19). Work with departments to generate faculty participation in QM efforts including a Faculty Certified Peer Reviewer.
- Serve on the Accessibility team.
- Serve as partner to five amazing, fearless faculty in the Chancellor’s Innovation in Technology (CITE) program.
- Establish weekly Teaching Tips articles for the Cornerstone; served as editor 2012-2014.
- Work with Course Scheduler, Communications Manager, and Registration Coordinator to promote online programs and courses via UAF eCampus website. Drive mobile design and testing of UAF eCampus website given student device use. Create and maintain the UAF eCampus website.
- Install database system (Trac) used to document course building and special projects progress 2013-2018. Maintain community multi-site WordPress for three years.
UAF COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING and MINES, COMPUTER SCIENCE
01/2000 – Current
- Create courses and update routinely to deliver well-conceived, learner-centric courses.
- Use varied concepts to engage with students. Integrate service learning in website design course to increase student understanding and provide portfolio-building opportunities.
- Help students succeed at their goals through carefully structured course units and rich feedback.
- Employ methods to connect students to cohort, to the course content, and to me so they may meet course and department objectives.
UAF COMMUNITY & TECHNICAL COLLEGE
01/2012 – Current
- Teach CITS 222 Website Design online. This course covers how to build websites and set up hosting.
- We focus on responsive web design, accessibility, and user experience.
- See additional teaching experience under qualifications.
- My face-to-face teaching experience as an adjunct began in 1993.
TEMPORARY TECHNICAL: ANALYST PROGRAMMER/WEB DEVELOPER
SCHOOL OF FISHERIES AND OCEAN SCIENCES (SFOS) & GEOPHYSICAL INSTITUTE
10/2010 – 04/2011
- Work remotely on virtual servers to support the Arctic Ocean Biodiversity group’s data management needs.
- Collect, archive, run/edit Python scripts to perform data ETL (extract, transfer, load) from various products (Excel, CSV, Access) into Postgres SQL for national (OBIS/GBIF) database harvest.
- Clean up metadata XML. Documentation development. Program in PHP, Python as needed to extract, transform and load data (ETL).
- In-depth work with CSS and Drupal content management system for the Geophysical Institute Design Services team to develop and deploy the large institutional site.
- Utilize Skype, conference calls, Trac/wikis to support workflow and communications.
- Harvest, reorganize, rewrite content.
COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST V
INSTITUTE OF MARINE SFOS ALASKA OCEAN OBSERVING SYSTEM
11/24/2008 – 9/30/2010
- Joined IMS as Communications Specialist II to perform web design.
- Promoted 11/8/2009 to level V. Customer Liaison.
- Support management planning. Promote unit services.
- Modify existing Python code for data ingestion; perform data ingestion and transfer. Clean metadata XML.
- Promote transition to merged tracking and documentation system.
- Documentation development. Create promotional and training materials.
- Work with stakeholders to improve data and information delivery.
- Work with the management team, programmers, and stakeholders to develop new materials.
- Shared supervision of two staff. Programming for web-based delivery of database materials. Deliver presentations.
- Perform data transfer; work with metadata XML.
STATEWIDE MARKETING MANAGER
AMERICAN TIRE & AUTO, INC.
02/2003 – 11/2008
- Developed intranet and network.
- Created all marketing materials: Website, radio, television, print, magazine.
- Managed 250K+ budget for two cities, five stores, and multiple accounts.
- Leveraged data on customer locations for ad placement.
- Tracked charges and determined best use of budget.
- Assisted with networking and development of five stores.
- Used Unix system using QVT for accounting, payroll, and sales tracking.
ALASKA BRIN & ALASKA EPSCoR
5/06/2002 – 2/14/2003
- Used Roxen to update site and trained others in use.
- Developed websites for areas related to BRIN and EPSCoR.
- Created marketing materials to promote both departments.
- Generated materials for distribution to Statewide Steering and External Advisory Committees.
- Entered BANNER requisitions and reviewed expenses for discrepancies or errors.
- Prepped materials for and provided technical support at an annual conference held in Anchorage.
UA STATEWIDE HELP DESK AND TRAINING
7/05/1998 – 7/20/2001
- 4/28/1999 Manager Help Desk and Training. Merged two departments. Hired employees.
- Reviewed, selected and implemented software choice for trouble calls/workflow tracking UAA, UAF, UAS, UA.
- Developed classes for staff; delivered computer training including security measures and copyright laws.
- Assisted MicroLan Services in inventory, maintenance, software installation and upkeep of multi-use pc training lab.
- Provided annual Training Conference(RSTC) involving attendees from 23 locations.
- Developed and supported website for the unit and related departments; implemented ADA screening.
- Sr. Programmer Analyst for self-directed work team promoted to Training Manager.
- Introduced new operational policies and procedures. Modified, updated, created QMenu and QAdhoc queries/views. Tested database changes during upgrades.
- Reviewed leading database interface products to replace in-house tools.
Presented “Embracing and Teaching Accessibility”, OLC Accelerate Conference, November 19-22, 2019. Orlando, Florida.
Accepted, Co-presenter, “Establishing and Walking the Pathway to Improving Quality Assurance”, QM Connect, October 27-30 2019. 2019-2020 Travel Ban.
- Volunteer support for Radiant children’s church (2018-2020). Radiant website and outreach committee (2017-7/2018)
- Vice-President Enep’ut Children’s Center (Oct 2016-May 2018)
- May 2017 & 2018 WordPress Basics & Practical Application at Staff Recognition Development
- Fall 2016 Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) lead for Smartphone/iPad (iOS) use
- Delving deeply into research for online student success during master’s studies. Revised the final project to focus on promoting successes of the School of Education.
- Presenting across the US for the Alaska Marine Information System launch at a conference when Alaska Airlines had back-to-back flight cancellations. This is quite easy today-it happened in 2008.
- While working for Statewide my team and I merged two departments and filled positions for the Help Desk and Training department. The core of that team 90% stayed together for almost ten years.
- During the first year with Internet Alaska, Inc. I helped the team increase the user/client base went from ~450 to ~17,000; dealing with success and not losing staff during the process is worth mentioning. At the same time, one of the owners and I flew around the state and opened new communities to local dial-up internet access.