Using my strengths to support eLearning and the University of Alaska
UNDERSTANDING FROM THE GROUND UP: Serving in these roles supports a unique understanding of collaborative and marketing efforts needed for successful support of our growing online programs and student population: Student, Online Student, Teaching Assistant, Coordinator, Adjunct, Information Officer, Programmer, Analyst/Programmer, Manager, Director of Marketing, Communications Specialist, Web Developer, Business Owner, and Instructional Designer.
- Data collection and analysis: I love data! I’ve worked with many units and teams to collaborate on the collection and dissemination of data to information using stories and visuals.
- I have experience collecting data, performing data export, transfer and load (import), doing data analysis, determining who and how best to share results with, and creating easily understood visual references.
- Using applications like Trac, creating and pulling reports from databases, querying tools like BANNER; running projects such as marketing for five stores across the state (American Tire); open, stock, and run–inventory, marketing, payroll–craft store (Memories & More)
- Expanding services and starting new relationships with eight outlying communities (Internet Alaska); assisting multiple teams in completing Defense Research and Engineering DoD DREN paperwork for compliance (Arctic Region Supercomputing Center).
- I have been a team lead, shared employee development responsibilities and managed teams. My management style is relatively hands-off. I prefer letting the task be the boss.
- Open and run craft store with three employees (Memories & More); hire, train, manage, coordinate employees for Help Desk and Training department after successful merge of two teams (University of Alaska Statewide); plan and open new office, hire, train, and manage employees (Internet Alaska).
- Within the University of Alaska system I have held one managerial role and shared responsibility for employee development.
UAF ELEARNING & DISTANCE EDUCATION
04/2011 – Current
- Teach faculty and staff pedagogy/technical aspects of teaching online.
- Help build courses.
- Provide programming support for online products like FERPA training, Advising Training, Course Catalog, Salary Database
UAF COMMUNITY & TECHNICAL COLLEGE
01/2012 – Current
- Teach CITS 222 Website Design online. This course covers how to build websites and set up hosting.
- We focus on responsive web design, accessibility, and user experience.
- See additional teaching experience under qualifications.
- My face-to-face teaching experience as an adjunct began in 1993.
TEMPORARY TECHNICAL: ANALYST PROGRAMMER/WEB DEVELOPER
SCHOOL OF FISHERIES AND OCEAN SCIENCES (SFOS) & GEOPHYSICAL INSTITUTE
10/2010 – 04/2011
- Work remotely on virtual servers to support the Arctic Ocean Biodiversity group’s data management needs.
- Collect, archive, run/edit Python scripts to perform data ETL (extract, transfer, load) from various products (Excel, CSV, Access) into Postgres SQL for national (OBIS/GBIF) database harvest.
- Clean up metadata XML. Documentation development. Program in PHP, Python as needed to extract, transform and load data (ETL).
- In-depth work with CSS and Drupal content management system for the Geophysical Institute Design Services team to develop and deploy the large institutional site.
- Utilize Skype, conference calls, Trac/wikis to support workflow and communications.
- Harvest, reorganize, rewrite content.
COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST V
INSTITUTE OF MARINE SFOS ALASKA OCEAN OBSERVING SYSTEM
11/24/2008 – 9/30/2010
- Joined IMS as Communications Specialist II to perform web design.
- Promoted 11/8/2009 to level V. Customer Liaison.
- Support management planning. Promote unit services.
- Modify existing Python code for data ingestion; perform data ingestion and transfer. Clean metadata XML.
- Promote transition to merged tracking and documentation system.
- Documentation development. Create promotional and training materials.
- Work with stakeholders to improve data and information delivery.
- Work with the management team, programmers, and stakeholders to develop new materials.
- Shared supervision of two staff. Programming for web-based delivery of database materials. Deliver presentations.
- Perform data transfer; work with metadata XML.
STATEWIDE MARKETING MANAGER
AMERICAN TIRE & AUTO, INC.
02/2003 – 11/2008
- Developed intranet and network.
- Created all marketing materials: Website, radio, television, print, magazine.
- Managed 250K+ budget for two cities, five stores, and multiple accounts.
- Leveraged data on customer locations for ad placement.
- Tracked charges and determined best use of budget.
- Assisted with networking and development of five stores.
- Used Unix system using QVT for accounting, payroll, and sales tracking.
ALASKA BRIN & ALASKA EPSCoR
5/06/2002 – 2/14/2003
- Used Roxen to update site and trained others in use.
- Developed websites for areas related to BRIN and EPSCoR.
- Created marketing materials to promote both departments.
- Generated materials for distribution to Statewide Steering and External Advisory Committees.
- Entered BANNER requisitions and reviewed expenses for discrepancies or errors.
- Prepped materials for and provided technical support at an annual conference held in Anchorage.
UA STATEWIDE HELP DESK AND TRAINING
7/05/1998 – 7/20/2001
- 4/28/1999 Manager Help Desk and Training. Merged two departments. Hired employees.
- Reviewed, selected and implemented software choice for trouble calls/workflow tracking UAA, UAF, UAS, UA.
- Developed classes for staff; delivered computer training including security measures and copyright laws.
- Assisted MicroLan Services in inventory, maintenance, software installation and upkeep of multi-use pc training lab.
- Provided annual Training Conference(RSTC) involving attendees from 23 locations.
- Developed and supported website for the unit and related departments; implemented ADA screening.
- Sr. Programmer Analyst for self-directed work team promoted to Training Manager.
- Introduced new operational policies and procedures. Modified, updated, created QMenu and QAdhoc queries/views. Tested database changes during upgrades.
- Reviewed leading database interface products to replace in-house tools.
- Volunteer support for Radiant website and outreach committee (2017-7/2018)
- Vice-President Enep’ut Children’s Center (Oct 2016-May 2018)
- May 2017 & 2018 WordPress Basics & Practical Application at Staff Recognition Development
- Fall 2016 Osher LIfelong Learning Institute (OLLI) lead for Smartphone/iPad (iOS) use.
- Delving deeply into research for online student success during master’s studies. Revised final project to focus on promoting successes of the School of Education.
- Presenting across the US for the Alaska Marine Information System launch at a conference when Alaska Airlines had back-to-back flight cancellations. This is quite easy today-it happened in 2008.
- While working for Statewide my team and I merged two departments and filled positions for the Help Desk and Training department. The core of that team 90% stayed together for almost ten years.
- During the first year with Internet Alaska, Inc. I helped the team increase the user/client base went from ~450 to ~17,000; dealing with success and not losing staff during the process is worth mentioning. At the same time, one of the owners and I flew around the state and opened new communities to local dial-up internet access.